"Let me tell you what I think about bicycling. I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. It gives women a feeling of freedom and self-reliance. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel.. the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood." ~ Susan B. Anthony

Friday, January 14, 2011

Over the river and...

through the traffic, out I go again!

Okay, to be perfectly honest, prior to Wednesday's ride I was ready to throw up.  After Monday's hit, I was totally cool with cycling.  I was surprised the Gj was going to let me get up at 5am and ride with the boys.  As a matter of fact, he encouraged me to put on the same jersey to show the Quan 7 boys and see if I coudl get a new one. 

But, after creeping in bed, I was really quite sore.  To be honest, my right eye was a bit fuzzy and I was a little uncomfortable with this.  And, as with all crashes where your head hit pavement, its best to be woken up a few time during the night to ensure you are okay.  I didn't get knocked out so there was very little risk, but none the less... 

Gj said, "I think you should just take the day off".  I agreed.  Knowing this gave my mind more time to process what happened and little devil rider would remind me to be scared on the road.  Often after the bruises heal, the mind has a way to go.  So, I talked myself into the fact it was my fault.

I kept the current plan....  bike was okay, I was okay, and had made an arrangement to ride w/ Alex to Cat Lai, cross the river with the ferry and see what's out there.  I had heard from others there was some good riding over there (funny how I HEARD about it, but no bothered to TELL me about it.... but people often ASK me for new info.... well....) 

I meet up with Alex at 7:45am.... I put my new GARMIN on my bike and really want to puke.  I am just freaked about traffic, but tell myself to relax.

Cross the Phu My Bridge, and head south to the ferry.  Only 12.5km to the ferry and the roads are passable.  The horrible road from the bridge to the main road seems to have improved enough to where you do not need a mountain bike (remember, these ARE the Vietnamese commuting roads and all the heavy truck traffice flows here)....

Ride right onto the ferry, 1,000vnd (about .05USD) to cross... 
Murky waters of the Saigon River (not a tributary, but the ACTUAL river)

 This boad has a Danish Flag on it....  amusing
My bike decked out w/ the Garmin, but have Polar as a back up.  Barely had a chance to figure it out.

After crossign the ferry, the decided route turned out to not be a good one.  We went straight, but hoping to take a right, follow the river until the road looped back around and took us back to the ferry.  Well, if teh road is on ONE map but not another... good chance the road doesn't exist.

Alex leads and probably furstrated as he doesn't know what speed to keep....  I ask him to just lead don't worry about me, but I do a lot better if another cyclist is in front.  My reaction time isn't as good and still quite nervous after Monday's crass.  But, when we turn on to the lesser traveled road, I take the lead and we pick up our speed a bit.  Great country road between rice fields and very few cars, trucks, or motorcycles.  But that quickly gave into sand/dirt and we were forced to turn around.

In all about 70km, took forever...  but well worth it.  Thanks Alex for heading out there and being patient w/ my slow riding.  Looking over the maps again, we will try another route after the ferry crossing.

Not being on the Nguyen Van Linh, hip hip horray.  I do see potential for some great riding here!

No comments: