"Let me tell you what I think about bicycling. I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. It gives women a feeling of freedom and self-reliance. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel.. the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood." ~ Susan B. Anthony

Monday, January 10, 2011

My 5th crash

And yet, all I can think about it my next ride...  I guess I am a junkie...

My first crash was because Xiao Hung was a head of me in the paceline, he went down, I was went down even trying to avoid...

My 2nd crash was just after I found out I was moving to Vietnam, only 1km from home, a scooter crossed the street and just stopped.... 

The 3rd crash happened on the Nguyen Van Linh highway, crossing crazy intersection, I got nicked on the back wheel and was slamming my breaks as I knew I was going down...

The 4th was on the 1st day of last year's Tour of Friendship... the guy in front of me swerved to miss something totally taking me out!  that was an expensive crash as I STILL need to replace my front break lever, but Campy Record, isn't cheap!

Then there was today!  today... of all days.... 

I am feeling SOOO GOOD!  After Saturday's ride, I had a 12 hour sleep and woke up feeling like a rock star!  I am not tired any more, and I am going to TRAIN!

So, I set out for about 60km... I saw some dude on a mountain bike who was just cruising through crazy scooter lane.  I catch up with him and he is married to a teacher at school.  He is subbing awaiting for a permanent position.  We chat... our speed is great!  I am so happy to have someone to talk with.  We finish the lap, he goes home, I head over the bridge.

I start my next lap again, so pleased with how I feel and my average speed is quite decent for riding mostly solo.  I choose crazy scooter lane as the truck lane has TOO much traffic at this time of the day.  I remember thinking to myself... "If I crash with a truck , I probably won't survive, but a scooter, I will.   In the early morning, there aren't many, if any trucks, so why go in the scooter lane?  But after 8am, there are LOTS of trucks and why risk it?  also, the scooters are quite behaved (unlike the early morning).

GEtting towards the end of out part of my 2nd lap, I start to feel very tired.  I don't know if it is the wind, but all of a sudden my bike feels super sluggish.  Just like Saturday (but that was the Opera and there WAS a small issue).  So I start to veer to the right as I want to get off my bike and check a few things out.

Either I didn't clearly look when I was veering to the right, or the guy on his motorbike didn't see me...  he hits me dead on the back wheel....

I crash!  I remember falling to the ground and so many things go through my head:
-DAMN IT!  This is really going to ruin my ride!
-DAMN IT!  I hope my wheels aren't damaged!
then I hit the ground,
am I okay?  what hurts?  I can't believe this...
I just lay there for a moment, then I slowly get up...
there is a small crowd around me.

the man who hit me also crashed.  I believe he was very sorry and felt very bad.  There was no laughing.  He said to me in English, "I am sorry".  I knew he was.  Maybe it was my fault, maybe his... it was an accident.

The women who appeard out of no where help me get my bike off the ground.  They are touching me and looking concerned.  One starts to put bandades on my knee...  (how sweet!)  They want to ask if I am okay.

I get out my phone, but who am I goign to call?  Gjermund can't help me and he will really worry!  It's better to tell him when I get home.  Mr. Cuong?  What can he do?  I can't ask for damages, he has damages too... if I ask him to replace my helmet, it may be close to 1/2 of his monthly salary.

He is genuinely sorry.
They are all concerned.

I tell them I am okay and it is okay.  My chain fell so we put it back on.  I spin the wheels, adjust my front brakes and the bike appears to be okay.

I guess I ride home.

I go to the top of the bridge I was on and just look over for a few minutes and have a little cry... I am so mad as I know I will be sore, maybe there is damage to my bike, my helmet is broke, and my nerves are probably shattered.  Gjermund always fears me crashing and I always come up unscathed... jsut some bike damage.  How will he react?  If he asks me to take a break from my bike, I will.  But, I don't want to.

I was so excited, I found a new rider who is also available during the weekdays!  Wednesday, I am going to check out a new route that will get us off the NVL and see something more exciting then scooters and heavy trucks. 

District 7 boys just gave me their jersey!  Now, its ruined.

 Home safe.
 The bandaids the old lady put on seemed to fall off on my ride back home... 
 You can see the deep crack/break...  Thank  you Giro!  You did your job.  No one plans to get hit, no one plans to crash, but when you do, its best to be prepared!
 more damage.
 Can't really see the other smaller cracks.
 Will ask the teachers if I can show the kiddies my helmet as a safety lesson.  Do you think someone can learn something from this?  If someone puts on a helmet and we can promote bicycle safety for our kids at school, the crash was well worth it!

The jersey....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tina, I am glad that's you are ok and really admiring your attitude for not blaming anyone on the accident. I am sure you will be back on your bike in no time pretty soon! I, too, had a crash in March 2010 on a section of the highway between Thanh-Hoa & Ha-Noi while on a mini charity tour, the truck was right behind me, but luckily I was blessed with only cuts, bruises, chipped tooth, torn jersey, damaged rear deraileur's hanger and a broken Bell-Volt(and thank GOD for the Volt)! so I do understand you feeling right now. Get well soon and much better luck next time Tina.

Tina said...

THANKS, I appreciate your encouragement! Who are you? do you still live in VN? Rode today and was very nervous going out, but had an okay ride and I guess that is the most I can expect. Will be better tomorrow! But, its always a race on the Nguyen Van Linh....

Anonymous said...

Hi Tina, I am Long (Troc) from xedap.org! I live in the UK but come back to VN often to ride with the guys (and ladies) and also take the good opportunity to do some charity rides. You will eventually regain your confidence (especially this was the fifth time that you have crashed) but I must admit, riding on Nguyen Van Linh is very hairy experience! when I am in VN, I stay in Vung-Tau, therefore training rides are mostly wonderful and safe. Be brave! you are one of the toughest ladies that I know (Margaret Thatcher is included). Take care

Tina said...

Let me know when you are back. I am not aware of any ladies that ride other then a few foreigners. Would love to meet some more!

I also love charity work (see posting on our school's bazaar, $16,000USD in one day!)

thanks for your encouragement! Really! also thanks for all your English/Vietnamese translation help on xedap.org as well!

Will head to Miu Ne for TET and bringing the bike! Roads are GREAT there and now I have Phan Tiet Velo friends to ride with. I just hope this time we do more riding... they were really freaked out by a girl on a bike. They kept asking, "are you tired?"...

Robert said...

Ouch! Glad you are ok.

Anonymous said...

i can't wait to be back in VN soon! Our traditional Compassion Cycling Tour 2011 commences in March (An once a year mini cycling tour for charity on behalf of xedap.org, which we collect from our forum and generous people in VN & abroad and donate to the unfortunate souls or organizations each town we pass). I was really impressed at the amount that you have raised at your school's bazzaar! last year we could only raise $3000! Every cycling club in VN have ladies riders but they are not your standard and calibre and certaily have no super-bike like yours but most are very keen and able cylists. The pro Binh-Duong Ladies Team sometimes carry out their training in Vung-Tau and i would take the opportunity to come along with them. Having said that, I have been quite lazy in the past 3 months (it's winter time in the UK) so they will drop me like fly the next time i join them). Take care, Long