"Let me tell you what I think about bicycling. I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. It gives women a feeling of freedom and self-reliance. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel.. the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood." ~ Susan B. Anthony

Saturday, January 22, 2011

The 5th day

on my bike this week. 

I am a little disappointed that my brand new Garmin is not keeping speed very well. I spent some time on the bridge adjusting the magnet and reader.  Interestingly enough, it DID keep the candance perfectly.

I had 100km on the docket.  I knew the speed would be fast.  I knew I'd get blown away.  I wasn't sure how to get to 100, but some combination of NVL loops and then to the IP for a cool down lap or two.

We take off.... Alex takes the lead, I follow.  Trying to hold his wheel.  Four of us make it through the light before the peloton that's just revving up.  Sure enough, "Mr. Hot Shot" in his tri position, no helmet is calling the shots.... attack, attack...they do.... I get sucked to the back like a vaccuum.  I envision they all have a great laugh that I come out week after week, and get sucked and spit out the back.  Perhaps I expect it and don't try as hard as I should. 

The speed was intense...  and no way to catch.  Mr. Discovery also falls out.  I follow him.  It seems to be the routine.  Again, I am slow on the turn around, I am slow on the intersections...  His tire blows at the toll booth on the way back.  I stop to see if he's alright, "I am okay, GO TINA, GO FAST!"... I put on my glasses, he looks up again and yells at me, "GO FAST TINA!"  okay...

I see Alex on the other side after the white bridge.... I turn at the first available turn after the tollbooth.  We ride 2 more laps together.  Then he heads home.  He already had 1/2 hour in before the 'race'.  "Wow, you loose a lot of time crossing an intersection"... "yup"... 

I dont' really know our speed through the laps, but just before the turn around of the 2nd lap with him (the 3rd), my legs are really burning and I am exhausted....  the speed seems intense... but it was probably only 30.  Who knows... 

I take a last lap.  No intension of going hard, but just want teh 3:30 on the bike.  Ran into Kristof and the Danish guy...  we chat and I waive them off, "I am finishing up 100, and I am out of gas, period"...

Hmmm....  I know the other girls would ride this ride much faster.... and they ahve actual hills.  I know my riding isn't good.... and I am not sucking wheel tight enough.  Its costing me everything.

Good ride.... encouraging?... kinda.  Glad to not have done the first 75 alone.

No comments: