"Let me tell you what I think about bicycling. I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. It gives women a feeling of freedom and self-reliance. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel.. the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood." ~ Susan B. Anthony

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Tour de Bintan - Training Week #1

and a painful one at that!  So, this Bintan thing....  hmph...  I debated, debated, debated... do I go, do I not.  If I go, can I endure the crappy training here in Ho Chi Minh City?  So, then Rachel came along...  there's another Canadian couple, Shannon and Claude.  There's Kristof, and Mike, and I think there are actually other guys that ride road bikes in this City that are not just out for the morning sprint! 

After 13 months of riding alone (bascially) knowing every bump and pot hole on the Nguyen Van Linh intimately.  Being brushed by stuff being hauled off on motorcycles and lets not forget, the yelling, whistles, occasional harassments...  I decide, "Yes, I will go to Bintan".

Anza Cycling:  http://www.anzacycling.com/ will have about 14 women.  The last time I saw 14 women on a bicycle was November 14th, 2009 at the last race I did in Taiwan.  Not even teh Tour of Friendship as many of the registered women did not come (due to the violent political situation in Thailand at the time).  How can I possibly NOT go?

Sunday:  rest

Monday:  60km w/ Rachel, one NVL loop followed by 3 Industrial Laps.

Tuesday:  45km, one bridge lap then out with the boys.  Dropped fairly quickly.

Wednesday:  Tried to fly to Singapore... flight cancelled.

Thurday: rest

Friday:  70km, one bridge lap then out with boys followed with another lap.  Boys actually rode only 35 - 42kph and we actually behaved like a team of cyclists.  They were the District 7 guys and they were actually quite patient with me... 

Saturday:  103km - one bridge lap, three NVL.  Met up w/ Rachel at some point, met a new guy Mike who is a teacher at ISHCMC (ish-mic), and rode a bit with Alex (when he was done humilating me wiht his stupidly fast speed!)

so, total for the week:  278km.  None on a trainer or roller, so... happy about that!

next week will be tougher to get that mileage in as I am soooo busy with PTA.  But, I am hopeful Wednesday can be a triple digit day and I can build the endurance I need.

No comments: