"Let me tell you what I think about bicycling. I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. It gives women a feeling of freedom and self-reliance. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel.. the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood." ~ Susan B. Anthony

Monday, September 27, 2010

SSIS Charity Bazaar - Volume 1

Last year I was asked to be the PTA President.  I thought about it.... Yes, No, Yes, No, Yes, No... then I saw the big picture...  What good is a mom that rides a bike up and down the Nguyen Van Linh highway when I could be a mom that rides a bike, and does something GOOD!  I never had this kind of opportunity to be so involved in my kids' school.  My kids are too old for me to volunteer in the classroom.  As a matter of fact, not even sure they like to acknowledge me in the hall way. 
 So, this year.... I am the chairperson for the Charity Bazaar.  Last year, the Bazaar raised over 10,000USD in one day.  When combined with individual and group efforts, we gave over 12,000USD to Operation Smile, Anh Linh Love School, and Heartbeat Vietnam.

This is the big picture....

This year, our bazaar will benefit five charities:

Operation Smile
Anh Linh Love School
Saigon Children's Charities
Sunshine Group

and

Heart Says Move Free.

Its the last charity that really moves me.  Well, they all do.  Heart Says Move Free was established by two SSIS students and one BIS student.  It gives wheelchairs to men with spinal cord injuries.  One of the founders had an accident and now is in a wheelchair.  My understanding is that this accident was within the year or bit.  Their charity is new.  If you put a disabled man back to work, his family is saved from the dires of poverty.  Imagine, one income can do for one family!  Children can go to school, they can eat, a man's esteem is restored....

because of this kid

who had a vision....

Please watch the video!

No comments: