"Let me tell you what I think about bicycling. I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. It gives women a feeling of freedom and self-reliance. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel.. the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood." ~ Susan B. Anthony

Friday, September 10, 2010

Xe Dap - Quan 7

Vietnamese Cycling Club:  District 7

You know you are 'in', when you are the only foreign girl, white at that (okay.... it that NOT PC to say?  well, when you are the only one with pink hues to your skin, I am white... I am not offending anyone by saying it, am I) well, whatever, that said... I am really different in their crowd.

I got invited to 'the party'.

A REAL local party!

It was an HONOR!  Can't even begin to explain.  The majority of guys don't speak one word of English.  It was over one month of me trying to keep up with them that they finally talked to me.  They allowed another foreigner into the group, Alex.  For months they couldn't figure out if I was American, French, Australian, or whatever...  Tuan did ask me for my phone number incase we get together.


I made homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies to share

Alex's wife Claudia and their son Jasper


Announcements and KTV





Gj came after his ride.  It was scorching HOT but he have a few 'iced' beers.  He was quite a hit! 

Tuan and his little girl, he was the first of the locals to speak to me!  Alex in the green with his girl Faber.



Auughh the beer girls... keeping all the beer cold.  Best to keep the glass full when you are finished.  You are never allowed an empty glass.





checking out the club's announcement board.  No clue what it says... 
Gained a few pounds over the summer.  Thinking we are getting to the bottom of whatever it is that's buggin me.  Hope to be back on my bike more 'full time' and my body returns to normal....and the weight will come off.  It isn't my choice... 




The beautiful people of Vietnam.  Its a happy time, times are good, propserity is in the air, the country has recovered from years of war, people are happy!

The Veitnamese are happy people.  You know, when I am riding around on my bike, its scary, the traffic is terrible, but everyone is smiling...  I think to myself, "why are we so hung up on being pissed all the time?"...  If there is anything I learned from living in Vietnam is that, "happiness, its a choice!"

No comments: