"Let me tell you what I think about bicycling. I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. It gives women a feeling of freedom and self-reliance. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel.. the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood." ~ Susan B. Anthony

Monday, August 30, 2010

Where is the love?

Other then a cool 'Black-eye'd Peas' song...  I got a special invitation to join my Singaporean/Malaysian girlfriends helping a shelter for unwed moms.  Oh...  it was raining harder then I have seen without a typhoon in years....  Eirik and I made our way to Christine's house and were totally drenched!  It was only 2 blocks away and we had umbrellas.  The streets were completely flooded with water as the thunder and lightening was all around us.  But, we had a date:  4:00pm!
me, Jane (Malaysian friend), Linda (Singaporean friend).... our little dudes....

Jane with some of the young mothers getting ready to have their babies.  These girls were shamed by their families and had no where to turn.  The shelter helps them mend the relationships between the girls and their parents so that he babies can have a healthy environment. 

Sadly, some of the babies are simply abandoned.

Many of the babies become toddlers.... and are still in the shelters.

Fortunately, many of the moms are able to visit their children in the shelter and things are moving in the right direction.

Fortunately, many women have stepped up to 'foster' care for the babies (some of the foster moms are above).


No comments: