"Let me tell you what I think about bicycling. I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. It gives women a feeling of freedom and self-reliance. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel.. the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood." ~ Susan B. Anthony

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Three years of PTA

When I first got to Vietnam, I knew what expat "wife" life was like.  But, now my kids were a bit older and having mom around wasn't so cool.  A harsh reality!

The first coffee morning, the president asked if someone could be treasurer... well... why not?!?  So, I asked... I actually thought many people would ask... ha ha...
How hard can that be?  I remember just feeling overwhelmed with the idea, but why not?  I knew I had to get myself out there or I'd just ... not do well.  Kids were too old to volunteer in their classes, and meeting other adults would be integral to my survival.  Work would keep me isolated in my home (where ever that was... we were living in a 2 bedroom apartment on the river in the heart of Ho Chi Minh City.)

Then we had the Charity Bazaar... even though I was in Taiwan racing on that day, the impact of it was deep in me!  I participated on the committee and observed.  I knew the next year, I wanted to be a BIT part of this!  Not observe! To see the impact of the lives we changed was really life changing for me.

So comes 2010-11 School year.  I am elected president (due to lack of anyone else wanting to do it), but totally on board!  I was so thrilled to be a part, and a big part of an organization that made differences in the lives of our kids and the general community to which we lived!


This year, our 2nd year, we have a great staff... we have a Prez (me), Vice Prez (Quoc who was pres last year), Volunteer coordinator Delma, Secretary Linda and marketing Teresa.  I also served as our treasurer.

The year was great!

I had two objectives as PTA President:

1.  Double the income from the Charity Bazaar
2.  Get the Middle School and HIgh School activities off the ground!

The result?  #1 was tough, the increasing dong to dollar ration meant it was harder to make double the income.  That said, we increased our income by 5,000USD and that saved a lot of lives.

#2, we started a few programs in the Middle and High Schools.  Never before had PTA been involved in MS and HS as a group.  I was very proud of this involvement. 

The following year, I hung on as President... unfortuantely, we had yet again, no treasurer...so I must do this job AGAIN.  

The year started off fine, but after Christmas, everything fell apart.  Our board became very, VERY thin.  Quoc was busy with work, and travelled almost 50% or more... when home... many other things to do.  Summer quit, Joy moved, and well...

I participated on the Head of School search committee as we sat and watched Charles health deteriorate.  

It was a tough year. 

I am glad to be done.

No comments: