"Let me tell you what I think about bicycling. I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. It gives women a feeling of freedom and self-reliance. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel.. the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood." ~ Susan B. Anthony

Thursday, May 24, 2012

2012 Tour of Friendship Stage 4 - Give it all I got

So, there was this 'hill' advertised... we disected it... studied it... and just before bedtime learned that the idiot that posted it.... was way, WAY wrong.  There was no 500m climb, no 300m descent in 1.5km, it was just a steady hill.

Out with the M40 again, they put women on the front.
I am feeling even more relaxed.  Just hang with the group, I can do this... I know what I did wrong yesterday and today is all out...no stops, I'd rather puke and fall over than be conservative.  What do I have to lose?  I am 3rd in GC at this point.... all I can do is strive for better....  It would take a lot ot lose the 3rd, and I'd rather lose the 3rd by trying than not by doing anything at all.

Fairly uneventful...first 30km or so.  Small undulating hills, few bumps of bikes... a scream from the back of the pack...

The hill is there... we are on it... its a very low incline and very steady.

Siw is pulling back...her breathing is very hard and labored....she's sick.  Now it is just me and Anne-Marie.  She's got a peloton of ANZA guys not to mention her husband.  The boys surge... we both fall back, but she thinks I have completely dropped.  When she spots me she screams...her husband helps pull her back to the group... I get in there too...

Okay...not giving this up!  Ride it to the hill, give it everythign I have... I won't take 5 minutes out of her, but I can certainly try.

Then the down hill...  I grab a water bottle from another rider, but there was a surge... not in the right place to be....

My meager 57kph average over the 2km downhill was no match for the group... I had dropped.  Unbelievable!  UNBELIEVABLE and such a stupid mistake.  I should have never taken water unless I had positions to give... I didn't!

I grab on to a Phillipino guy who dropped because of a technical issue and he pulls me, we try to get back to the group.  We are offered a van pull, but it is illegal.  I am NOT doing anything illegal!

Then, the snap, when you realize its over.  We chased for 30km, they were always in sight... but there were some healthy surges that our two man group just couldn't catch.

Now, it is hot...

I am cramping...

I am miserable.  But I ignore the pain, there will be time to feel it later.  If I acknowledge any pain, I might as well just give up.  It must come with motherhood, you can easily ignore and postpone pain as there are much more important things then yourself on the line.

We get to the dam climb... parts are steep, I really question if I even have the strength to climb up it.  For the last 20km, everything has been geared around focusing on getting to the top of the climb.  I know I have 2nd for the stage, and depending on how much time I am ahead of Siw, I could take 2nd in the GC.  It depends.
 I have yet to figure out why I was smiling... I hurt so bad...and I got dropped....AGAIN...quite embarassed...


It was my 2nd, 2nd place for the Tour thus far.... fairly happy though one day would love to stand on teh top fo the podium.... Got my long sleeved - NVL-7 jersey and khaki skort...

Now, 2nd in GC with 4+minutes to lead...

Should be easy to keep....

Celebrated with a beer.... just had a good laugh and really enjoyed myself that evening...


No comments: