"Let me tell you what I think about bicycling. I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. It gives women a feeling of freedom and self-reliance. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel.. the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood." ~ Susan B. Anthony

Sunday, February 13, 2011

What goes up...

must come down as we ar taught in physics, right? 

It would be great if the up/down cycles wasn't always dramatic with training.  I understand periodization is key in raising your training cyclings and levels.  When I lived in Taiwan, our 'mandatory times off the bike', AKA vacation really helped my cycling.  Though my riding buddies insisted I would loose everything.... I would have to start o ver... my GOD how would I ever compete since I missed a 300km week?

Well, my body rested, my body recovered, and guess what...?  I improved.  They were always shocked.  My climbing inparticular improved after a period of rest.  No, not the first ride, but after a week, I'd always be hitting NEW low times on a climb... 

Finally, it just became a joke.  "I drink Italian wine when I am on my forced rests.  Italians are great climbers.... it makes perfect sence!"...  it was always a joke... but wondered if anyone really took it seriously.  I noticed Italian wines seemed to be served more often then before.

I don't pretend to have a clue about proper training, but knew enough to understand a bit of rest did do a body good.  If I actually had a coach or a training plan, I really wonder what I could have accomplished.  In vain attempts to acquire a coach, all failed.  I begged team mates, asked the e-Ma coach to coach me... he gave me a few tips.  But, being a 40 year old foreign woman living in Taiwan I apparently wasn't worth the serious effort.  Even though I only gave 3 positions in the entire 2009 racing season.  You'd think winning the Giant Cup for the 3rd year in a row would create some sort of stir. 

Well, this week, I went down.  Thankfully, not literally! 

My time on the bike was low....

Sunday:  rest
Monday:  intervals on the trainer concentrating on what I feel is my biggest weekness.
Tuesday:  went out w/ boys but went home as my brakes were rubbing and I had a horrible feeling in the air.... so I ran 5km.
Wednesdsay:  four laps in the IP
Thursday:  45km.
Friday:  rest
Saturday:  75km....

didn't get in my two 100km+ rides...

Unfortunately, absolutely rediculous drama zapped so much of my energy, there was little left for my bike. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

A mom on a bike in Vietnam finding an actuary riding a bike in san Diego... The joy of the Internet!!
Like the template :)
What kind of cycling do you do? I don't picture hills in Vietnam, but I don't know the country.
And the actuary connection? Are you also a fellow math nerd?

Tina said...

I know...funny! I am a pension actuary, have my EA from the IRS. Never finished my ASA. I was almost done when they changed the rules from 200 to 300 points. Having a family so just gave up. Tired of not going to the zoo and soccer games because I had to study. Yes, most definitely a math nerd! Worked at Aon consulting for years, but now with a small independent company and telecommute. LOVE IT! Great people, great boss and good work. Lived in Taiwan for 4 years before Vietnam. No, no hills... actually, roads are bad too! Taiwan was riding heaven. Don't knwo when we will move back to Oregon.