"Let me tell you what I think about bicycling. I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. It gives women a feeling of freedom and self-reliance. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel.. the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood." ~ Susan B. Anthony

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Rain...Rain... Go AWAY

YUCK! 
Every Friday night, I prepare for what I hope to be a 100km + ride on Saturday.  Typically some combination of the bridge followed by meeting up with the local boys + Alex and then maybe meeting up with the local foreingers for a few more loops. 

I should have known when I left the house at 5:00am and there were puddles of water on the street.

Crossing the bridge, I am already muddy.  This is very rare!  I go ahead and finish the bridge loop and go to the bridge to meet the boys.  None of the Saigon Velo team is there.  Just Alex and a few of the D7 guys are there.  The sky looks good and doesn't appear there will be rain. 

By this time, I am already covered in  mud.  You see... when the roads are wet in Saigon, the streets are very muddy.  It isn't just simple rain... but since there is so much construction, the roads are always covered with lots of fine dirt, actually, cement consistancey stuff.... 

I take off form the bridge.  Alex and I are visiting... we soon learn, the others turned around and went home... Alex and I ride going no faster then 30kph.  At this point, I am thourghly annoyed and just want to go home.  But, haven't talked w/ Alex for several weeks and good to catch up. 

He did the full Olympic Triathlon in I-Lan last week in Taiwan and got 6th in his age group!  Very cool!
No, these are not stockings, or socks, but the mud, the very fine dirt on my lets...

shoes...

It is only 6:45am....

My bike...
cleaned up, ready to go, and only 8am.  Home in time to take eirik to soccer

Auuggh, my 'special ed' child....
where I should have ridden... the roller.... by the time Gj was ready to ride, it was pouring!  you can see in the picture.
looking down on the street.

No comments: