"Let me tell you what I think about bicycling. I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. It gives women a feeling of freedom and self-reliance. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel.. the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood." ~ Susan B. Anthony

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Empty Nest? Getting older?

This week has been filled with painful reminders that the term, "Empty Nest" will apply to us one day.... 

Some parents really enjoy their lives evolving to this phase, but I hate it!  My daugther has entered high school, my son middle school.  They no longer need mommy around, as a matter of fact, they really don't WANT mommy around in public. 

Though my relationship with  my kids is still VERY strong... just not as 'public' as it used to be, I see that they are really pulling away from me.  It really sucks. 

My kids are happy!  My kids are really doing well, so its a good thing... its just that a part of my life is now over... and its really sad....

Gj tells me to enjoy my freedom.  I can't help but be a bit angry that I don't have a 3rd child to fill these empty afternoons... someone to hold my hand saying "mommy, come look at this..." 

that's life.

3 comments:

cycling41 said...

Wow! Wish I could share some (if not all), "Mom, look at this!" with you. I guess in a way, I am lucky to have Sean who is 6 years younger than his older brother. Fill your afternoons up with something. I know that nothing could be nearly as same as what you and your children used to have. But, we'll all have to face it sometime, don't we?

KikiDee said...

I totally am where you are right now -- Hannah is 16 going on 17, and is very independent, which I love, but yes I long for the youngster again -- reading books, singing songs, teaching, cleaning, feeding, etc. Thankfully, God has blessed me with some great friends recently who allow me to babysit their babies and I get to have a "fix" for a little while to help that Mommy "ache" -- I'm sure you know what I mean.

Plus then with Joe's kids, I can see them doing things to push me away for more independence -- saying things that hurt me verbally. I know its a way to assert independence, but it hurts nonetheless. I know its a stage of life, and I have to look at it as that, but its an adjustment.

I have begun filling my life with different things -- I've started volunteering with children's ministry and with the youth group ministry. God's calling me to do it -- I'm answering, He's filling a void in me, and hopefully I can make a difference in some other children's lives too.

It's not easy, but I know God is with me and can get me through it. My heart is with you Tina and know exactly how you feel. Thank you for sharing your heart.

Tina said...

Thanks Ladies! I am still really close w/ my kids and to be honest, they are pulling away at the age appropriate time. It just happens so fast. In Taiwan, I was 'cool' to have around and they didn't mind all the cycling... here... they really prefer if I didn't show up at school in cycling gear.

Charity Bazaar is keeping me VERY busy as is my job. If I train for something I might be more active too... I am plenty busy...

Eirik used to jump up and I would carry him. I always told him I had to keep doing this because one day it would end. He would be too big, and it happened.... too fast!

I do get my baby fix once a month. My girlfriend has this group over (Where is the love entry) and Gj says I can go, just don't bring one home!