"Let me tell you what I think about bicycling. I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. It gives women a feeling of freedom and self-reliance. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel.. the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood." ~ Susan B. Anthony

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Mui Ne, Vietnam

Kids had one week off... so we typically take some sort of trip.  Last year we went to Mui Ne and rode our bikes from teh 1/2 way mark.  We had a tail wind and for 100km, average speed was about 35kph.  Not bad!  But now, the roads are so nice in Mui Ne, no need to ride tere.
We left Saigon at 3pm, picked Gj up at VL about 4pm.  It takes aout 5 hours to drive there.  It is only 200km north of Saigon, but the traffic is horrific and scarey.  Typhoon Magi was suppose to hit us leaving Mui Ne in its souther part... but, it took a turn to the north.


Thursday morning, Gj and I head out about 10:00 for a leisurly ride.  Just a 20km out and back.  The new 'upper road', Highway 706B is a 34km loop.  We are located about 7km into it.  There's about 300m of climbing (you need to remember, I life in Saigon, our only climbing is a 47m bridge).  Gj beats me on the two short uphills, but I get him on the longer climbs. 

There is never, leisure in leisurely riding...  ha ha... 

When we get back, our Pucci is very sick.  She is throwing up everywhere. 

She wouldn't even take table scraps....

Thursday night, eating at Jibes... The kids got candy necklaces from one of the French workers.  I was so jealous... I always wanted a candy necklace.
Emily models hers!... 

Eirik models his.  We sit at the same table every meal.  We go here for lunch and most dinners.  Its owned by the same people as the hotel.  Eirik had a big day playing in the waves (they were big enough to surf).  It seems I never get enough sun screen on him.

Friday morning, I go for Ride #2, solo... I just want to do a loop of the 'upper' road.  I made an appointment with Phan Thiet Velo for a Saturday ride.  Their average is 35kph, so I wanted to make sure I knew where to meet them, etc. 
 Always cows on the roads...
 Auugghh... so happy with Ride #2.  Though, slow, still happy. This is my 4th day in a row riding and 5 for the week.  Saturday makes 5 days in a row and 6 fo the week. 

WHOA... am I coming back from the .... 'lame'?  Am I getting better, I am feeling better.  though over the days of riding my mileage is really low for as many times of wearing spandex, I am feeling... OKAY!
 Jibes, Eirik playing pool....  lunch tht day.  Eirik has three admirers...  Its good for him to be the 'cool' one.
Dinner at Ganesh... an Indian restaurant, the owner of whom which we have befriended.
 Ride #3... meet the Phan Thiet boys.... and that they are... boys... strong little boys...  not to be conceited, but its been a long time since I have been the worst climber in a group...  I still got the thumbs up, but still dead last.  Well, there were only 4 of us!
 They didn't exactly know what to do with me... I could tell.  We ride the upper road out and then past the sand dunes and out to the beach. 
 After they rode by my hotel, I waited for them to pass a bit, then went back out for some more glorious riding.... we head back to Saigon and this type of riding is out again...
and happy to be riding
Hm.... I think there's a Golf Course here...
On the way back to Saigon, we stop to buy fresh dragon fruits





No comments: