"Let me tell you what I think about bicycling. I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. It gives women a feeling of freedom and self-reliance. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel.. the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood." ~ Susan B. Anthony

Monday, January 30, 2012

Riding should be quiet....

We took our bikes to Mui Ne for a 6 day vacation.  Gjermund was quite sick with food poisoning...it took him 3 days to recover and I am not completely convinced he's even recovered now!

Sunday I typically ride long.  So, arriving on a Saturday kept me on schedule!  I planned out a great ride, riding north along the coast turning around then a few laps of the upper road.

My bottom bracket was a bit noisy a few weeks ago.  I INTENDED to get it pulled apart, cleaned, greased, and ready to go.... but I didn't.  I had a LOT of work, house work, kids, blah, blah, blah... Also, the noise seems to have disappeared. Or....maybe because where I ride I simply can't hear it? 

I head out.... and within the first hill, click, click....  not good.  I take it easy on the hills knowing I need to get this fixed... but there goes 5 good days of riding....

I was on my way back from the turn around point and the noise in my bottom bracket was horrible.... to a cyclist who knows her vehicle... it was heart breaking!  My bike was sick... I was really upset, only 40km logged and thought, it is a week of rest.

I was wearing my full ANZA kit... then someone going in the opposite direction passed, we did the obligatory, "hey, I am a cyclist, you are to so we shoudl say hi" wave...  I saw he turned around.  I was NOT in the mood for company.... or gettin my ass kicked.  (actually, I thought it was a girl)... then HE said, "I never thought I'd see an ANZA rider out here".. Oh, hey... dude was really nice.  He's a South African guy living in Hong Kong on vacation with his family here.  As it turned out, he'd done the Tour AND Bintan.  WE had a nice chat.  He was recovering from a hamstring injury so kept him to my pace.

I manage to get in nearly 110km with 1000m of climbing.

Recovering with a coconut, fresh vegetable rolls and a swim in the ocean....  They are just base miles, right?

















No comments: