"Let me tell you what I think about bicycling. I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. It gives women a feeling of freedom and self-reliance. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel.. the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood." ~ Susan B. Anthony

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Its a new year!

On so many fronts:

A new age:  43
New calendar year:  2012
New lunar year:  ???  Year of the???  CYCLIST, how 'bout CYCLIST?!?

I have come to realize as I enter my mid 40's so many things.

*  I no longer worry so much about what I look like....but, I will never admit to the grey!
*  Scars, wrinkles, stretch marks are evidence that I have LIVED, not that I am weak
*  The thrill of riding my bike is still a thrill, a luxury, and on so many levels, my salvation!
*  Somethings just are NOT worth being upset over anymore.
*  Life simply happens, how you react defines you....

I am looking forward to a better year.  The troubles and situations that arose in 2011 won't go away, but I hope I can deal with it all a bit better and let more just roll over my back.

That said, having a blast riding with the boys for the first time in over 2 years.  It was so much fun riding with them when I first got here.  Back then, the average speed was 40 to 42.  That was HIGH to me then.

I don't know what happened, but over the past two years, these boys are getting increasingly faster.  Bar none, it is still the best ride in town.  I have yet to venture out on many more rides.  As I know the traffic here.... and I am not in a long ride for a LONG DAY... just bike, please!  A little water please...lets be on our way.  I'll do lunch at home.

Lately, I have been hanging with them the entire stretch.  I have a 2/3 success rate.   The speed has increased, quite a bit to be honest.  My PR for thursday's ride was 40kph for the 27km I measure.  This includes a few stop lights.

My pack skills have improved tremendously.  Also, I am riding more on the front longer then ever before.  I am not staying there the entire ride, but I AM on the front....

So, here's to 43, 2012, and year of the 'cyclist'!

No comments: