"Let me tell you what I think about bicycling. I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. It gives women a feeling of freedom and self-reliance. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel.. the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood." ~ Susan B. Anthony

Friday, May 21, 2010

Tour of Friendship Lady's Day 4

The hardest of the stages to write about.  This was the 2nd time since I started racing in March of 2007 that I had not been on the podium out of probably 45 races.  It isn't that that makes it hard to write about, I beat the 5th place girl, hands down....  the course wasn't marked....

After the 3rd stage, my position did not improve, but the GC spread out. I was only 18 seconds from 4th place, but knew that wouldn't change.

I couldn't sleep.

I was exhausted.

I was so nervous.

I laid in bed for hours..... watched a little TV....

Finally, I took 1/2 Tylonol PM. I thought about it seriously before swallowing. I remembered the last time I took this before riding it really affected my ride, but that was a whole one, that was a 50km climb up DaXueShan back in 2008, and I took it in the early hours of the morning. It should pass.....

Oh.... how stupid. I was so wrong. I was so stupid.... there really isn't another word for it.... just plain stupidity.

At breakfast, we are discussing what to do. We think we are in with the M40 again like the prior two days. We heard a rumor they will shorten the course because so many participants are flying out that night. Christina approaches us (she must be laughing her head off now to think that I could actually keep up with her and Siw....) We know if we drop the two Thai girls, we can go 1, 2, 3! Siw and I need a LOT of time an we don't have a lot of distance to do it in. If we can get some M40 help, but they ahve their own race too..... ANZA M40 has their own agenda and a few members they want to break free and hold the rest behind! It's 'the race' for most.
(M40 group - Siw and I are in there, discussing plans for controlling the peloton.  M40 needs to protect Patrick to keep his GC position)

At the start we learn we will actually go with the M60, and Juniors.... like the first day. I think this is good news. No managing the big peloton through the tiny roads we would be heading through today.

At the start line, as we wait, I feel sicker then normal. I want to throw up and can't get my stomach settled. I ride a little to see if it is nerves.... for the most part, I think it is.

Its our turn, we take off.

We start a few surges.... the Thai girls stick. Hmmm.... The Juniors have their agenda as do the M60's. Too many races in one group. A few surges later, I realize, I have absolutely no energy. I push on the pedals but nothing happens. It is almost an out of body experience. The whole race is in slow motion and incredibly painful.

I hurt the entire race.

I suffer the entire race.

I come to grips that something is really wrong. Now, I have to think about my 5th in the GC. I have to keep it. There's quite a time gap between 5th and 6th, but if I drop off our of exhaustion, I am gone.

I go to the top to tell Siw, "I have no power today, doubt I can be much help".

A few km's later I feel a little better, I go back to the top, "What's the plan?"... she tells me, "double dummy"... okay (as if I know what that means). There's a surge, but we are going through a town with lots of dust, gravel, and turns. Surge, recover, surge recover, etc.... finally, too much for me.... I had dropped.... trying to keep up... I can't.

They have the power of the Juniors and the M60 with them. I see who is behind me, what's the lay of the land. Three of Christina's teammates and one of the Thai girls.... well, we got one I think. So, I have two choices:

1. Hold back and guarentee we move Siw and Christina up in the GC. My 5th is guarenteed as no one below me is ahead of me.

2. Since Christina has so many teammates behind.... and their speed is slow enough, do I try to bridge the gap between me and the Thai girl. I need 3 minutes. It can be done.... She isn't going to break out on her own, the other's don't go that fast.... maybe if there's some sort of slowing I can catch the lead group.

I go for it! Feeling slightly better.... I bear down and ITT the entire way. Speed isn't great, but my heart rate says I can't go much faster... so we are all battling the same wind.

The course passes the finish line on the other side of the road. You make a U-turn then finish on the correct side of the road. I see the lead pack finish.... the U-turn must be the first one!

There is NO ONE there.... no sign, no paint in the road, nothing. Since other turns had been marked, clearly this is NOT the U-turn.

I go to the next U-turn, again, nothing!

I start to the NEXT U-turn.... finally one of the officials tracks me down and tells me to go turn around.

I realize I rode about 3 - 4km longer then the course.... Now I really hammer....just hoping I beat the other girls...

I cross the finish line with the entire pack waiting for me.

I came in dead last.

I am hyperventalating....

They led me astray....

They didn't mark the course

They had NO ONE marking the course...

They were out for a smoke? I don't know...

They are laughing at me...

I protest... I tell everyone....

I assume there will be neutralization.

We are told, they will review each category and make a decision.

It wasn't until the awards ceremony they decided not to do a damn thing about my category. It was getting late and apparently, they thought we weren't important enough?

Every peloton had an issue.

I was so angry.

By my calculations.... I would have had 4th in the GC, not 5th. I could have made up that time.... It would have said more to my team getting 4th behind their woman superstar's 3rd, then placing 5th with a horrible time.

I try to protest, many tell me "aahhww, it's just how it is...." There was justification in the other categories.... I finally say, "I train in the suckiness of HCMC by myself.... it took a hell of a lot more out of me to get here then most! I definitely deserve to be heard, or at least an apology!"

Nothing....

I am crushed.

I am hurt.

I am humiliated!

Unbelievable.

I have sinced sent a very nice letter to the organizer.... nothing.

Of course, had I not taken the meds, perhaps I would have held on and it wouldn't have been an argument after all.

When people ask me about the tour, the best I can say is, "It was okay".

I'll be back...

I'll be stronger....

I won't make the same two mistakes....

It will be different....

No comments: