"Let me tell you what I think about bicycling. I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. It gives women a feeling of freedom and self-reliance. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel.. the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood." ~ Susan B. Anthony

Friday, May 21, 2010

Tour of Friendship - Lady's Day 3

I woke up putting the prior day behind me. Today is a totally different battle. I am not nervous because I am really too tired. Racing day after day, one looses the nerves you have when you only race once a month. We are in the M40 peloton again, but I visualize myself thriving in the peloton.... using the boys for the pulls... being a proactive rider!

The red area is the ladies, M50, M60, and Juniors. Our very controlled by ANZA peloton keeps the speed between 30 and 35. This goes on for about 35km, finally we start to pick it up... somehow... I end up in the back of the pack again... almost like a vaccuum before I knew it I was sucked back.... Okay... I relax, I am not dropped by any means. Its a feeding zone, motorcycles are giving us water. We ride on the left side of the road as we are in Thailand. No real safe side of the peloton. I get my water. Go back to the top... "Nice work" says Siw... "Yeah, don't know what I have for the hill"...


I suffered dearly the day before. Every 96km of yesterdays ride was suffer... I didn't benefit from the pack so I was tired.

The hill comes about 5km shorter then advertised. Seems to be the norm in Thailand... Hmm... seem to NOT be in the right place.

We know there is a steep part. We are told it is 2km into the climb. I brought the Opera. I decided on this bike because there wasn't too much climbing and I am so much more comfortable on this bike then the Cervelo. I feel it just moves faster... and they weigh the same. So, if I can manage the hills on teh Opera, why Cervelo?

I pass Janine... Okay, 5 ahead of me.... I pass Siw... 4 ahead of me... I pass a few ANZA guys... where is the Specialized girl, I think she will be next. I see a Specialized jersey... I go for it! ONly to pass "her" and see here number is 313... it is a guy from the 30's division....shoot, WHERE ARE THEY? There are 4 ahead of me. AAUUGGH... Pass another ANZA guy... pass my friend John, "WOW! Go Tina!!!" he says....

I cross the finish line.... in 4th place.

I have a HUGE smile on my face. I gained some time back in the GC, but not sure how much.

1:35 behind the winner of the category (but she got a 10 second 1st place bonus, and another 10 second KOM bonus)

1:30 behind the other Thai girl (wasn't counting on that... she seemed weaker then me in the flat - she gets a 6 sec bonus)

0:58 behind Christina (4 sec bonus)

me!!!

Siw and Janine come in just under two minutes behind me.

The other girls.... some time after that, not sure.

I am elated! I have not climbed more then 1km since the 14th of November! I am really happy with my climb, but pretty sure it was below my 'peak'.

I take my 4th place as another victory.... I am so happy!

Two unfortuante things for ANZA girls.... still I am in 5th for the GC, and Siw has moved from 1st to 4th.... I am 18 seconds behind her. that won't be made up as the next day is flat road and she is stronger then 1/2 the men on our team....

At the hotel later that night, a few ask me, "You must be feeling good tonight!!", "Yes, why?",. "You flew past me on the hill"...

Alan said, "So, you're a climber, huh?"...."Used to be... I am definitely not in climbing shape now!"

John said, "You flew past me! I was surprised..." I said, "I've lost a lot of climbing too!"

Maybe the team will see a valuable position for me?

The team was very concerned and upset with Siw's new position, "You need to help her tomorrow Tina!"..."Of course!"

tomorrow....we have work to do!

Sure enough... when I got home and analysed my data from North Coast Race, KOM, etc.... I lost a LOT of climbing power. A solid 2kph in speed. had I been in NC Race condition.... the results would have been very, VERY different... and maybe I'd seen yellow.

Of course the situations were not identical... the hills and distance were. Our speed in Thailand was slower approaching the hill as the M40 controlled peloton had 90 km to go after we let go. But, the heat in Thailand was the hottest weather I ever rode in!

Every water bottle I took, on sip, on the head, sip, on the legs, sip, on the back, down the front, then drink the rest.



No comments: