"Let me tell you what I think about bicycling. I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. It gives women a feeling of freedom and self-reliance. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel.. the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood." ~ Susan B. Anthony

Thursday, April 12, 2012

In search of a mountain...

With this years unbeleivably intimidating Tour of Friendship coming in just two short weeks, I am desperate for some real climbing.  The race profiles show pitches of over 20% in some places and 10% as an average! 

My little Phu My Bridge is 4.8% at best....

So... off to Vung Tau, there is a hill with some steeper pitches and for teh effort, its the best climbing that can be done here in a day.
From Russia with Love.... I board the noisy HydroFoil for a $10.  Easy trip down teh Saigon river to the Ocean and dropped off at Vung Tau.

 The other side of the Industrial Park.
 My Phu My Bridge....how I don't miss climbing IT today....
 The top of the hill, the "Lighthouse Hill".  It is a 2.3km hill, probably 2.5 from the main road, but the first stretch is really dodgy.  The last bit is also really bad, rough road, broken harsh pavement and very narrow.
 WHOA....what is that in the background?  Trees?  Blue Sky?  OMG...  its nature!  Where are the 24 wheeler trucks?  Where's the exhaust?  My lungs are in SHOCK!
 So pretty!
 Peaceful..
 Serene....
 I am still smiling....  sweated through at least 4 water bottles....  super hot and windy..
 But, I gott'r done!  Eight climbs, 1050m.  I knew I didn't climb 'well', but nothing was a struggle.  I tried harder gearing trying to come up with some idea of HOW 24% would feel. 
 My hostess, Ms. Sang (Mr. Thang's girlfriend) cooked an AMAZING meal for us and her middle daughter.  Quite honestly, it was THE best Vietnamese food I have ever tasted!  I met her at the HTNA tour.  She travelled along with the team.  She was so helpful and clearly, very delightful.  when I told Long I was coming for some mountain training and unsure if Alex could come, he arranged for Thanh to meet me.  He also looked after me during the ride.
 Traditional style eating, on the floor.  Sadly, I am so inflexible, I had to stretch my legs.  I was a bit embarassed.
 Thuy, Sang's daugther (came home early from work to help her mom w/ me!!) Sang, and Thanh.  They treated me like a princess. 

On the ferry at 1:00pm, home by 2:45.... exhausted, sunburned, and happy!

Happy until I analyzed my climbs.... but that's another story!

No comments: