"Let me tell you what I think about bicycling. I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. It gives women a feeling of freedom and self-reliance. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel.. the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood." ~ Susan B. Anthony

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Living Gluten-Free

is like living in a candy store and you can't eat a thing!

It is so hard and frustrating.  Just when you think you have something you can fix, you try, and then in the morning your daughter wakes up and tells you she had a horrible night!  So... you check the ingredients on the canned soup:  sure enough!  DAMN IT!

My daughter has been struggling for nearly 18 months.  Finally, a few months ago, the pain and suffering got to the point she had to miss school.... and lots of it.  We have been workign with Dr. Suresh at Victoria Health Clinic here in Ho Chi Minh City.

Hoping at first it was parasites, it wasn't.  Then, it leads to looking at other things in her digestive track.  We go gluten free.....  wheat free... whatever that means.  She had a full colonoscopy to check for any other diseases.... and/or it just may be irritable bowel.

The frustrating part is you think you are feeding your daughter somethign she can eat, but only to learn that there was wheat in it after all! 

So.... we are back to basics.... basic cooking.  I was already much more basic then most American families as I live in Asia.  But, there's nothing packaged she can eat.  Try being an American kid goign to an American school and she can't have a box of crackers!  Its not so easy.

The food companies (to which I now .... don't like) have wheat in EVERYTHING.... but luckily, instead of just taking it out.... of everything .... they take it out of just a FEW things, label it "Gluten Free" and charge about 200% more.  Well, when you live in Vietnam, try 500% more!  So, gross scones I made last night cost me about $8.00.

She did get sick from them.... so I suppose it is worth it.

HELP!   

No comments: