"Let me tell you what I think about bicycling. I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. It gives women a feeling of freedom and self-reliance. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel.. the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood." ~ Susan B. Anthony

Thursday, April 21, 2011

It's JUST a bike race, RIGHT?

So....why does it feel like the weight of the world?  It is JUST a BIKE race.  I am a 42 year old mother of two kids.  My life consists of hours of algebra help, leaning 6th grade science, social studies, cooking dinner somewhat 'home style' in an Asian country.  I am the PTA President and I have a job....

I ride a bike because it is fun.

I ride a bike because it is healthy, and after the third turn of the pedals.... I am near nirvana....  Its just THAT good!  Its hard to explain unless you understand the 'high'.

So.... its JUST a bike race, right?

No... its justification, it's a race, and I am very competitive....  I analyze, study, learn, work...  totally changed my training to training with a  purpose.  I have acheived levels thought impossible at my age and the complete suckiness of Ho Chi Minh City riding.

Getting really down about my climbing (or lack of) today I actually came home in tears from my ride.  I intended to do 8 bridge laps with an average speed of 22.5kph for all 16 climbs together.  I think it is very doable.  Tuesdays 6 laps were 21.5kph and without too much intensity.  Well, nine sets of intervals, so averages are not a good indicator. 

Today's wind was NUCLEAR!  It was depressing.... I could see it from the window.  I knew there was no place on the bridge to hide.  Its open over the Saigon River and today was the windiest day, EVER.

Completely demoralized after the ride..... came home in tears!  Its been a long time.  Didn't even want to look at the averages, because I didn't think there was any point. 

Alex came with me....  he's quite the friend to ride with me (there is NO ONE HERE...and those that do ride... they don't seem to invite me....whatever... i give up!  My schedule is pretty predictable...)

I was quite humiliated after the hills..... he told me where I was lacking strength (he's brutally honest - but if something is deserved, I get it)... but the damn wind.

I can't seem to stand the entire climb... I was quite shocked by this....  that's a back pocket trick... 

The wind took a LOT out of me...

That said... I finally got up the nerve to download the data....

Guess what?  Not the 22.5kph I wanted, but 21.6kph...  much better then I thought.  The average on the windy side was 19.9, the not windy side 23.3 (take that too thank you very much!)...  the winds were not head/tail, but cross....  so the 'tail wind side' not as much of a struggle, but it was no tail wind.

So.... maybe I am not as weak as I thought....

Only 8 more days before I get on the plane, 9 before Stage 1 for the girls.

3 comments:

Long said...

Well done! you would have done much better than your intended average speed if your Cervelo had a pair of Zipp 202 (or a pair of low profile rims) instead of the 404. Glad to know that you survived the PMH bridge's cross wind and still achieved your target. Best of luck for the tour

Tina said...

actually, I have a pair of Hyperons that I SHOULD be using, but will take these. I'll start riding the other bike after this race....

oh, you misread, I didn't acheive my target at all.... it really upset me because I feel very unprepared... I suppose that is always normal pre race feeling, though, right?!?!?

Long said...

In my opinion, you would have bettered your target if the right rims were used :)(i love the Hyperons for climbing). It's the normal pre-race feeling alright! however, it's like taking an exam, when it's nearer to the important day, you always feel that you are unprepared and try to learn everything in a short time. And when it's time, your mind goes blank! you should be happy with the training results to give yourself some encouragement to try harder the next day! after all there are only 5 training days left and the one thing every competitive cyclist should avoid is to get burned out before the big day. Love to hear your training progress...take care